Sunday, March 18, 2012

tea


a still from the korean drama 해를 품은 달 "the moon that embraces the sun".

This is the most beautiful presentation of tea I have ever seen.

I'm guessing this was one of the ways tea was served to royalty in the 16th century. A large bowl with tea leaves held in multiple strips of cloth that fold out into the shape of a lily. I'm imagining the tea was chrysanthemum - a light waft of the floral tea would be the perfect pairing to this stunning presentation.

The last two Korean dramas I watched were all period dramas - taking place in the 16th or 17th century. The traditional Korean that is used is sometimes a little challenging to understand, and when it is coupled with Chinese characters even more so - but still a great way to learn. I used to think these historical dramas were so boring when I was younger. This is certainly an indicator that times have changed!