Tuesday, December 7, 2010

día oscuro


Yesterday was an interesting day. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. to study for my exam and noticed that my desk lamp which is usually turned on so that my roommate can see when she comes back to the room (we both have the strangest sleep schedules) was turned off. I looked over and saw my roommate wasn't in her bed, got up to turn the light on... nothing. The power was out and later I found out the entire campus except for the library was out of electricity because a tlacuache (a Mexican opossum of sorts) had crawled into the main power grid for the campus and well... if everyone wasn't so pissed about the internet, hot water, and electricity being down during finals week we would be having a small memorial service for the tlacuache.

There were no emergency generators and the battery powered emergency lights were out by the afternoon. My roommates and I scrambled to get things done before it got dark, looked for candles, and prepared a little birthday surprise for another one of our suitemates. The timing was horrible in terms of academics, but perfect for bonding with my roommates before I move to Mexico City. I don't think I'll ever forget the hours we sat in the dark with little tea candles on our coffee table chatting without the TV on, no noise from the refrigerator or laundry machine, and all of our uncharged cell phones tucked away in our purses.