Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Things are starting anew.

The rainy season in Mexico has passed and the air is now turning into a cold breeze. I'm starting to wish I had brought one of the many green army jackets I have lying around at home! It's a little harder to get out of bed in the morning because it gets really chilly in my room. My roommate moved to the couch in the living room at one point because her bed is next to the window. Whoever told me to bring my down comforter to Mexico... I am eternally grateful for your kindness and good memory!

It's kind of hard to believe that my "goal" was to travel to at least two cities before the end of the year. I've been to Mexico City, Toluca, and Taxco and have plans of going to a wedding in Veracruz in December, a trip to the Grutas de Tolantongo (caves) in the state of Hidalgo this Saturday, and maybe a trip with all my roommates at the end of this month. I'm in awe of how big Mexico is and how different each city and state can be.

The co-op search is just about to get really real. My curriculum vitae and forms are due this coming Monday with the co-op coordinator here, my logistics professor is talking to her boss to see if I can do some consulting work with the company, my Korean-Mexican friends are kindly looking into internships at the Korean companies that have plants and offices here. Posco, a Korean steel company is definitely on the list, along with maybe Samsung and Daewoo. It would be amazing to be able to use Korean, Spanish, and English in a work setting but I'm honestly a little nervous about working in a Korean company because when it comes down to corporate culture, I'm really estadounidense. (I can't get myself to write or describe anything as "American". It makes me cringe. What other word could I use in place of that?)

I am a lot more comfortable with public speaking in Spanish! My first presentation here in Mexico was worth 30% of my final grade (didn't make it any easier with that in the back of my head haha) and I realized that whatever language I am presenting in, my style will always stay the same. No reference cards, keep it simple, look at the people you like, and breathe. After my group's 20 minute presentation, there was another 20-30 minutes of question and answer. None of the students let us go easy, and the professor had a way of finding exactly what we missed or forgot to include in our presentation. I ended up answering every. single. question. (thanks group??) but everything worked out fairly because I ended up getting a higher grade than everyone else :D and also maybe won over the hearts of some fellow Mexican students because I really tried... and I looked good. :)