Friday, September 18, 2009

resistance, rewards, and marshmallows


Oh, The Temptation from Steve V on Vimeo.

Cup of Jo posted this video about a psychology experiment on willpower. These kids are so cute!

I kept thinking about what I would have done if I was put in the same situation when I was five years old.

I'm sure I would have started picking at the marshmallow in a discrete location after a few minutes...

but knowing me, I think I would have made sure I got a second marshmallow afterwards.

For some reason this experiment they did with children and marshmallows reminded me of how hard it is to hold a certain stretch for an extra five seconds in yoga, or how easy it is to start walking after a really short jog. A delicate balance of push and pull... that's what it's all about, isn't it? Perseverence.