Saturday, June 13, 2009

moving on

I've lost count of all the different addresses I've lived in for the past 3 years. Here I am, packing yet again, this time from Los Angeles to Boston so that I can re-enroll in classes and start acting like a student. (Because if I don't, this wonderful aunt named Sallie Mae will be on my ass about paying for loans!)

It's strange to imagine myself holding textbooks and rushing to class again. I haven't taken classes for about a year now. I was on co-op for the last six months of 2008, and then went straight to Korea and now I'm trying to remember what I actually learned a year ago. I suppose my college career has been ever so slightly unconventional, but isn't college where we can be a little unconventional and flexible and open to new things? (Shouldn't we be that way always?) Or is college just a convention of kids who didn't know any better? It looks to me that some of the most successful people today were some of the most unconventional ones back in the day - so what should we do now to avoid just a mediocre life?

Half of 2009 has passed and I think June is a perfect time to reflect and renew. It's a perfect halfway point and 6 months is great for making new, specific goals. As for me, the first half of 2009 was a time for learning and growing. The second half of 2009 will be a time for change and action. It's time to move forward!