Saturday, April 25, 2009

surprise, surprise

When people find out that I am only temporarily living in Korea, they always ask when I moved to the United States. They expect something like middle school or high school because of my fluent Korean and are completely shocked when I tell them that I was born in Korea but moved to the States with my parents when I was just a little past 100 days old (3 months). Note: In Korea, a baby's 100th day is celebrated just as much as a 1st birthday.

The conversation then continues with an "Oh! Then you're pretty much an American!" Haha yes, I guess I pretty much am an American. The problem arises when certain Korean people immediately register into their minds that I am only American and think that I wasn't brought up with any Korean culture or quite frankly, Korean-food-acquainted-tastebuds. If my parents emphasized the Korean language, what makes Koreans think that I was only fed cheeseburgers and meat loaf? (What is meat loaf, exactly?) If some people are amazed by my kimchi-stew and rice craving abilities, what will they think when I start craving dongtaetang, or gopchang, or ggakdoogi?



rainysmall
A rainy day in Seoul.