Tuesday, March 24, 2009

whimsical korean weather

So today I was driving with my aunt and we turned on the news on the navigation screen. The weather forecast was scrolling on the bottom and I noticed a word that I had never seen before:

꽃샘추위 (ggot-saem-choo-wee)

The word is so whimsical:
(ggot) means flower
(saem) is short for getting jealous
추위 (choo-wee) means cold

It means that the weather is getting jealous of the flowers that are about to bloom and decides to bestow some chilly weather upon us! You know how it suddenly gets warm one day in late Feb or early March and it stays that way for a little while... and then all of a sudden one day we start freezing our butts off again? Yes, 꽃샘추위, what a tease.

Want to impress your Korean-speaking parents/sig. other's parents in the springtime?
How about... "엄마, 아빠, 옷 따듯하게 입으세요. 꽃샘추위때문에 많이 쌀쌀해요!"
Haha thank me later ;)
plum blossoms
This photo is from Spring 2008 in Osaka, Japan. Can't wait to see the blossoms in Korea this year!